Endoscopy refers to a non-surgical procedure that is used for examining the digestive tract of an individual. This medical procedure is used for evaluating stomach pain, ulcers, gastritis, or difficulty swallowing, digestive tract bleeding, changes in bowel habits (chronic constipation or diarrhea), and polyps or growths in the colon. It is worthwhile to note here that this procedure is a non-invasive alternative to surgery for foreign object removal from the gastrointestinal tract.
A doctor may even make use of an endoscope to take a biopsy (removal of tissue) to look for the presence of disease and endoscopy can even be used for removing gallstones that have passed outside the gallbladder and into the bile duct. An endoscope is a medical device that consists of a long, flexible or rigid, thin tube that has a light and a video camera. Using this device, images of the inside of the body can be seen on a screen and the entire procedure is recorded so that the doctor can review it again. This minimally invasive diagnostic medical procedure is commonly used to examine the interior surfaces of an organ or tissue and enabling biopsies and retrieving foreign objects.
Types of endoscopies and their meanings:
- Amnioscopy – examination of the amniotic cavity and fetus.
- Arthroscopy – examination of the joints.
- Colposcopy – examination of the cervix and the tissues of the vagina and vulva.
- Cystoscopy – examination of the urinary bladder.
- EGD (Esophageal Gastroduodenoscopy – examination of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum.
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) – examination of the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, and pancreas.
- Proctoscopy – examination of the rectum and the end of the colon.
- Rhinoscopy – examination of the inside of the nose.
Endoscopy may be performed by an internist or family doctor and all of the other endoscopy procedures are usually performed by gastroenterology specialists (gastroenterologists) though a specialist such as a gastrointestinal surgeon can also perform many of these procedures. To view services offered by a specialist, you can search the internet for some of the best gastroenterologists or surgeons.
You can even find a wide range of medical care solutions like treatment for sleep disorders, wounds, and stroke by making such a search.
To find the best internist or Endoscopy services, you can visit http://www.atlanticgeneral.org/.
Popularity: unranked [?]